The English Learner (EL) Program in East Grand Forks consists of meeting the English Language Development Standards.
The Mission of the EL program is to empower all students to become responsible lifelong learners.
The Vision of the EL Program is to have every English Learner college and career ready.
The English Learner program strives to create a learning environment where:
- All learners will have access to grade level standards
- English Learners will develop English language through rigorous curriculum and instruction
- Respect and pride for cultural and linguistic heritage is valued
- Accountability for student learning is shared
Core Values: Our work is guided by the following
- Every student is valued
- All teachers are teachers of English Learners
- Every parent is a collaborative partner
English Learners are students whose first language is not English. They can also be students who have difficulty with English because they have grown up listening to another language, or students born in the Unites States who first spoke another language.The service an English Learner receives depends on the student’s English proficiency level, previous U.S. schooling and time in the U.S., and current academic achievement level. At each proficiency and grade level, the English learning structure is tailored to students' needs.Students' English language proficiency is assessed with the WIDA ACCESS test. This assessment is given annually to students in grades K-12 who have been identified as English Learners to monitor their progress in acquiring academic English. See English Learner Identification Criteria or the Assessment and Testing page for more information.