Teaching & Learning
Teaching and Learning is based at the District Office and led by Suraya Driscoll.
The mission of this department is to work across the district so that all learners acquire the knowledge and skills they need to thrive in a world where change is constant and learning never stops.
• All learners need and deserve 21st century learning opportunities to thrive as tomorrow's leaders, workers, and citizens.
• Learning takes place throughout life in many places and spaces. From birth through their careers, learners need a broad range of experiences that develop their skills, dispositions and abilities to succeed. A strong foundation for success is rooted in learning that happens in and out of school.
• 21st century learning environments and opportunities are essential to prepare all students for the challenges of work, life, and citizenship in the 21st century and beyond, as well as ensure ongoing innovation in our economy and the health of our democracy.
Teaching and Learning is responsible for overseeing the entire educational learning program, including developing the curriculum taught at each grade level to ensure student mastery of 21st century skills. The district is focused on alignment to 21st century standards, assessments, curriculum, instruction, professional development and learning environments to produce a support system that produces 21st century outcomes for today's students.
Contact information for Suraya Driscoll:
Update Teacher Growth and DevelopmentPosted by Suraya Driscoll at 5/17/2016
We are in the final days of the school year. Here is the update from the last teacher growth and development meeting on May 9th. The group worked to identify the root cause of the problems identified in the health checkup from last meeting. We used the 5 Why's technique to drill down to the root of the problems and come up with a plan to move forward.
The team came up with the following ways to move forward.
1. The Teacher Growth and Development Team will meet 4 times a year to build a common communication plan for all the buildings in the district. This team will meet once on the beginning days of teacher workshops, twice at 3:30 on curriculum days, and once at the end of the year on teacher workshop days.
2. Principals will decide on the tool to use to collect and give feedback to teachers. The principals will all use the same summary template at the end of the school year.
3. Staff development needs to be two fold. Dollars dedicated to building goals, and dollars dedicated to a way for teachers to work on their individual goals. A process will be developed to have people help others implement information from conferences that teachers and principals attend.
That's all for now!
Welcome to Chit ChatPosted by Suraya Driscoll at 4/4/2016 10:00:00 AM
Welcome to Chit Chat
I will be updating this blog weekly to help with information sharing and updates.
The Teacher Growth and Development Team met at 3:00 at Senior High in Room 106.
We grounded ourselves back to our mission of our group- To create a teacher growth and improvement plan to increase student learning.
We reviewed our World's Best Workforce plan evaluation from MDE. I have included the link here for your review.
We discussed the need for our Staff Development Team and The Teacher Growth and Development team to be linked. Staff development needs an overhaul now! If we want our children to be Career or College Ready then we need to understand that staff development needs to look like this.
The principal feedback teachers are receiving through the growth and development plan guides teachers to what their needs are for the classroom and therefore to the teacher effectiveness domain they need to focus their professional growth. IT IS PERSONAL NOW.
We also did a Health Checkup of our Teacher Growth and Development Plan using the Plan Do Study Act model.
We are in the Study phase of the model. The team used the SWOT method as a useful technique for understanding Strengths and Weaknesses of the plan, and for identifying both the Opportunities the plan provides and the Threats the plan may offer.
We will reconvene on April 20th to put an action plan together for next year to strengthen our implementation of the Teacher Growth and Development Plan.
That's it for Chit Chat see you next week!